Library In Africa
Started in 2014 as a makeshift of a library, The Smallest Library In Africa is a community library based in
informal settlement of Mugure sub-ward, Ruaraka constituency In Nairobi county. With only 100ksh the
library was initiated by then a 21 year old Cyril Peter Otieno to promote literacy levels by providing
conducive learning space and books for school going children at both primary and secondary levels.
In a community where poor school performance , early teenage pregnancies, drug abuse and crime are the
systems that holds poverty; our library has continued to provide a safe space for children and youths to
learn and write their own stories and aspirations
In 2017 the library transitioned to a three rental space accommodating at least 200 members on a weekly basis, and they benefit from the following services and activities done by our library.
- Provision of conducive learning space and extra reading materials
- Lending of books to school going children
- Indoor games like chess and scrabble
- Drawing and grammar lessons
- Life-skills and mentorship for adolescent and teens
- Provision of scholarship to needy members
- Community out-reach programs like monthly community clean ups
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library
~ Jorge Luis Borges
Montessori Plus Center has partnered with the project of the “Smallest Library in Africa” since January 2019.
The school director, Aruna Varsani, while being on one of her reusable pads projects, came across the Smallest Library in Africa at Baba Dogo slum area.
Coming from an educational background, this project inspired her to take it on and put it under the Montessori Plus Center umbrella.
She feels that having libraries around different areas will give wings to children from ages from 3ys to 16yrs to soar heights and gain knowledge all around.
So far the schools that have gained a well-stocked library are:
- The Smallest Library in Africa – Baba Dogo (origin)
- Ntepes Primary Schoo – Wamba, Samburu
- DEB Primary School – Wamba, Samburu
- Tipito Girls Secondary School – Wamba, Samburu
- Wamba Girls Secondary School – Wamba, Samburu
- Ahadi School – Amani, Nairobi
- Farasi Lane Primary and Secondary School – Nairobi
- Ngong Children’s Association – Nairobi
- Raise literacy levels through provision of reading materials and conducive learning space.
- Promote creativity among children through art activities.
- Foster positive behavioral change among adolescent and teens
- Provided conducive learning space and extra reading materials to over 200 school
going children at both primary and secondary levels
- Improved in school performance by our beneficiaries.
- Mentored over 150 adolescent and teens.
- Introduced indoors games of chess and scrabbles , and animated children movies
Wishing To Donate?
You can donate books in cash or kind
Montessori Plus Center,
UN Close Road,
next to the Swedish Embassy,
Mpesa to 0722 746333 (Aruna Varsani)